Nonprofit Law Institute 2018
November 8 @ 8:30 am - 5:00 pm$225
Join us for the third annual Nonprofit Law Institute event for attorneys who want to learn about serving nonprofits, learn from leaders from the nonprofit legal field, and share your interests and experiences in working with community organizations.
This CLE will also be available online as a live webinar. If you are unable to join us in-person in Seattle, please join us from your desk at your computer. Make sure to indicate that you are joining us for the webinar in the registration process, so we can send you the webinar information.
Refunds requested after October 8th will not be processed.
This full-day CLE is accredited for 6.25 CLE credits, including 4.5 Law and Legal credits and 1.75 ethics credits).
- 8:30 Registration
- 9:00 am – 5:00 pm Program
- 5:00-6:00 pm Happy Hour.
1. Ethics of Board Service and Representing Nonprofits, Presented by Jeanne Marie Clavere, WSBA; Judy Andrews, Apex Law Group; Lorri Dunsmore, Perkins Coie; facilitated by David Lawson, Davis Wright Tremaine
2.Morning Breakout Sections:
* Advocacy and Lobbying for Nonprofits, presented by Elaine Rose, David Lawson, Davis Wright Tremaine, and David Streeter, Washington Nonprofits (This breakout session will be webcast live)
* Preventing “#Metoo”: What Nonprofits Need To Know, presented by Kerry Robinson, Foster Pepper, Bob Howie, Fox Rothschild (This breakout session will not be available by webcast, but will be recorded and available for viewing at a later date.)
* Data Security for Nonprofits, presented by Jake Young, Microsoft (This breakout session will not be available by webcast, but will be recorded and available for viewing at a later date.)
3. Lunch and Keynote Address: The New Tax Law and Other Updates for Nonprofit Lawyers, presented by Bruce R. Hopkins, Bruce Hopkins Law Firm
Mr. Hopkins, a national nonprofit law expert, will be speaking on the new tax law and other updates on 501c3 tax-exempt legal issues.
4. Afternoon Breakout Sections:
* Protecting the Public: How the State Regulates Nonprofits, presented by Scott Douglas, Office of the Secretary of State, Corporate and Charities Division, and Dave Horn, Office of the Attorney General (This breakout session will be webcast live.)
* Liquor and Gambling at Fundraising Events, presented by Stephanie Meier, Stoel Rives; Andrew McMasters, Danny Lisa, WA State Gambling Commission (This breakout session will not be available by webcast, but will be recorded and available for viewing at a later date.)
*Exciting Updates In Accounting and Tax for Nonprofits, presented by Jennifer Becker Harris and Deby Macleod, Clark Nuber (This breakout session will not be available by webcast, but will be recorded and available for viewing at a later date.)
5. Innovative Philanthropy: Legal Aspects of Achieving Impact Through Tax Exempt Medical Research Organizations – Gates Foundation, Facilitated by Ken Miller, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
Happy hour 5:00 – 6:00 pm
Join us for a happy hour after the CLE portion to meet and enjoy your colleagues working in and for the nonprofit sector.
Continental Breakfast, Lunch and Happy Hour are included in the day’s events and in the ticket price.
Presented by the WSBA Corporate Counsel Section
In partnership with Wayfind
The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
Perkins Coie PLLC
Association of Corporate Counsel — Washington
Clark Nuber PS
Lane Powell PC
Foster Pepper PLLC
A special thank you to The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation for hosting this event.
$190 Early Bird until September 21, 2018
$225 General Registration after September 21 2018