- This event has passed.
Legal Issues for Churches and Religious Organizations
September 19, 2017 @ 8:45 am - 11:15 am$60 - $150
You don’t often hear about the legal rules that apply to churches and religious organizations. Yet, Washington has an active faith community and there are many legal requirements and issues that churches and other religious organizations face and should be aware of. Join us for this unique seminar designed just for the faith community!
Churches and religious organizations are nonprofit organizations and can be tax-exempt from Federal taxes, but the rules are different from the typical “charitable” nonprofits that obtain tax-exemption under IRS code section 501c3. This training will cover the unique legal rules and restrictions that apply to churches and religious organizations. There are also many state laws that affect churches and religious organizations.
Come and learn about:
- The difference between a “Church”, “Religious Organization”, and “Charitable Nonprofit”,
- How State and Federal tax rules apply to churches and religious organizations, including the complex and sometimes confusing Property Tax rules, B&O, Sales, and Unrelated Business Income Tax rules.
- How employment laws apply to churches and religious organizations.
- How public accommodations laws apply to churches and religious organizations, including access and use of facilities. We will touch on the recent same-sex ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court and if that affects churches.
- We will also cover using church premises for other activities, such as child care, Alcohol Anonymous meetings, and arts performances.
Presenters include Judy Andrews, Apex Law Group and Nathaniel Taylor, Ellis, Li, & McKinstry.
For Attorneys, this training includes 2.5 CLE credits.
Cost: $150 General Admission, including 2.5 CLE Credit credits, $120 Wayfind Volunteer Attorney, includes 2.5 CLE Credits, $60 Nonprofit and Religious leaders.